Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sir, would you like an upgrade?

Viva



First of all, my sincerest apologizes for being gone too long.  Things come up, I get busy and I forget how much I enjoy talking about whatever.  As my dear friend Adam put it, "you mind as well call it Dvo said."

Point readers.  Thanks gang.  Now, let's get to work.

Significant Other and I debated for a long time about a spring break vacation.  She has some time off for a week in April and was begging to go somewhere.  I was skeptical.  Not only is the Middle East imploding which creates gas prices only Charlie Sheen can afford, but just the sheer planning really up'd my #tigerblood pressure.

Dateline: Boston, about 11 p.m. on a recent Saturday.

Significant Other: We really just need to pick somewhere, everything will be expensive.
Me: I just don't know... I would love to go somewhere however everything is so expensive and there are too many options to narrow it down.

We came together for dinner the next night.  The discussion lasted for hours.  Finally, there is one place in the whole world that provides a nice place to stay with warm weather in April.  And this place has anything that you want to do.  Our eyes lit up and we finally decided:

Las. Vegas.

That's right folks.  The one place in the U.S. where drinking in public is encouraged.  Of course, we're both excited for a host of things.  Significant Other likes the pool options and I personally can't wait to see some Cirque shows.

Although our decision was clear, planning was/is still complicated.  We have a variety of options to stay and we've penciled ourselves in the MGM Grand.  It got great reviews from my parents and the pool seemed to say, "come on in, you're on vacation and you're staying at the MGM GRAND."
$20=Bi-Winning

I started exploring further.  I want this trip to be special but I don't want to break the bank.  Is it possible?  This website thinks so.  Apparently there is a underground secret that runs through Vegas like Charlie Sheen does with briefcases delivered to his house.

Basically when checking into the hotel, slip a twenty between your credit card and driver's license.  Just as the hotel clerk is processing your room, he/she will notice the money.  At that point, you ask for an upgrade.

I looked deeper and there is a ton of different views about this. I'm not sure if I've been kept in the dark (I know, it's called tipping) or if this will get me that much.  Some dude slipped a hotel clerk a $20 and he got the Charlie Sheen suite at Aria (last one with Sheen, promise).  I mean is that for real?

I'll try this in Vegas when I'm there of course.  And I'll clearly make a huge scene whether it works or not.  And if this does work, I'll be sure to use this in other places outside of Vegas.  For instance:

-speeding tickets (officer, no one needs to know about this)
-my boss at work (more vacation days?)
-girlfriend (discount on the cable bill?)
-automotive retailers ($20 for rims?)
-VIP sections of clubs/bars (not paying more than  an ol' Lincoln here)
-library (I buy, not borrow)

We'll see what happens, I'll keep all of you posted.  But either way, I can say I tried it.  And that's like #winning in itself.








No comments:

Post a Comment