Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Safe Travels











Yes, this one's about life.  And it's good.  




I promise I won't keep you long.  I just want to tell you about my travels.

A long time ago, when Significant Other and I started dating, she was far away in Massachusetts while I was living in Minnesota.  Every time I went out to visit her, it would be an ordeal.

I would start out with my flight.  And for those of you who don't know my flight travels, I have a serious issue with traveling.  My family has instilled the notion that I need to arrive at the airport 2 hours before my flight.  To be honest, I don't mind showing up a little early and relaxing.  It's nice to get coffee and not rush through security.  I've always been an early flier so this time was no different.

Once I got to the airport I would wait until my flight took off.  I always connected somewhere because without connections, you're paying a price for airline tickets that don't justify the luxury of flying direct.  Just sayin'.  And yes, I just called flying direct a luxury.

I land in Milwaukee (the most common connection), and then I would then wait a little longer.  Sometimes there were bloodys involved in waiting but it would mainly be more food and me making fun of Wisconsin to anyone that would listen.  Another option would be talking to myself which is a common occurrence for individuals in the Milwaukee airport anyway.  Outside of the feces-like smell, my crazy ass fit in ok. (Note: this is not a ringing endorsement for anything in Wisconsin, except for family).

After departing Milwaukee, I would land in Boston.  Significant Other's college was about an hour south of the city so I would have to then take the subway to a commuter rail line.  After getting on the commuter rail line, I would then arrive in downtown Mansfield.  Pretty much worse than Wisconsin.  Just kidding, Wisconsin is far worse.

From there, I would have to wait for this mode of transportation called the Gatra.  This would be a bus driven from Mansfield to Norton, where the college is.  Usually, this guy would be driving.  And the Gatra would only cost one dollar.  Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't trust anything that costs just one dollar.  Have you ever been inside a dollar store?  Do you trust any of those products?  Even Pop (Soda) is more than a dollar these days.  And you're telling me that I'm able to get in a weird short bus that costs a dollar to drive a ways down the road to a different town?  Ya, little odd.

I finally arrive at Significant Other's college and it was all worth it.  I did these trips for a long time.  Clearly, it was important for me to go!

Jump to present day and there is a different type of reality when it comes to traveling.

Since living out in Boston, I travel home to Minnesota to visit my family and friends.  Thankfully, I'm able to get picked up.  And let me tell you I really do appreciate those rides. (Not saying I'm sassy about not getting a ride from Significant Other when visiting her.  It's just the life and times, you know?).

My brother is the one that usually picks me up.  My parents do sometimes, but my brother doesn't mind and we usually go out to lunch and hang out. It's always awesome to travel home and be with family when you step off the plane.

I bring up my travels because of the last time I went home.  I had a flight home and of course my brother was there to pick me up.

We went straight from the airport to a Mongolian BBQ restaurant at 11:30 a.m.  Nothin' better than eating some greased out Mongolian in the late morning to get your stomach going!  Anyway, we sat and talked and caught up.

It made me appreciate how lucky I am to have a great family (it's growing of course) and a great brother.

It's his birthday today.  Just wanted to let you know how much he means to me.  Bro, I can't thank you enough for being you. I certainly lucked out.

Here's what I advise: Many of you have siblings.  Make sure they know your life isn't the same without them.

Happy B-day Bro!

No comments:

Post a Comment