Monday, October 29, 2012

Don't worry Mr. Ponder, I'll help you figure out what you're confused about



I've had tons o' fun so far answering questions and trying to bring a fresh start to this blog.

I need to interrupt our regularly scheduled broadcast for something more important. A substantial activity that fills my life from September to February (hopefully).

The Vikings.

I consent if I ever become a sports journalist that this post will come back and haunt me.  I'm not sure I care or desire to comprehend the consequences.  I have been through too many games and too many loses to think fortune will some how change and the Vikings will end up being the Giants or Patriots of the NFL and consistently win for decades.

No, I'm not looking for that type of team.  As a matter of fact, if you ask any Vikings fan, they will tell you that our teams happen to be a once in a lifetime type of teams.

Whether it's drafting a receiver that blows up and has an awesome rookie year; or a QB that comes in an immediately starts exceeding expectations; even a QB who you hated more than that one time your brother gave you 10 stitches in the forehead, these are the teams that Vikings fans live for.

I remember in my younger years going to a movie with my dad.  Before we went we were listening to the Vikings game in his old Cutlass '88.  This was my first introduction to AM radio which I still adore to this day.  My father made a living on the road professionally made me appreciate the wealth of information I could receive from point 'A' to point 'B.'

Anyway, we were sitting and listening to the radio the whole second half as we were driving to the movie theater.  We arrived early and the Lions were driving on the Vikings.  The Vikings had held the lead the entire game (13-7).  My father, myself, my brother, anyone who lived in Minnesota knew that this game would end in a Vikings loss.  We just didn't give ourselves a chance to maintain and sustain a lead on a Lions team which had good pieces but Scott Mitchell as the Quarterback. The VERY last play of the game, the Lions had made it all the way down to the One yard line of the Vikings. My dad said we could go into the movie now if we wanted.

"No, I think we can somehow hold them, we can get this win."

The radio proclaimed what was needed for a young Vikings fan to learn, "Touchdown Herman Moore!  Fade pass in the back of the endzone.  All the Lions need is a extra point to win it!"

Of course the Lions ended up kicking the extra point and winning the game.  But the bigger lesson was understood that day.  As Vikings fans, we need to be realistic with out expectations   We need to expect a season like 1998 to happen more often than a consistent excellence throughout a season, decade, or lifetime.

My brother and I have been through the range of emotions.  Same for most of my friends as well.  We don't expect wins each week, but we expect a certain level of nuttyness to make us wish we either never watched the game that week or watched each passing moment of the week before the next week.

All this said, being a Vikings fan is a lot of work.  But, the ultimate question: will it pay off?

Well Thursday night, the Vikings fell to 5-3 after starting hot but losing some questionable games to opponents that are clearly worse than the Purple and Gold.  And to cap off a first half of the season that saw victories over one of the best teams in the NFC and another team who made the playoffs last year.

As always, it was easy to find the reaction of Vikings fans by listening to the radio and hearing the frustration of whatever could go wrong, go terribly wrong.  And since the introduction of social media the outrage is amplified of how bad this team could be after the first half of the year.

I'd like to look at it this way; after all of the struggling and torture over my lifetime of being a Vikings fan:

We Are Going To Win.

What are the common links that every Vikings' team has had since I've been young?  Other than playing in an oversized hefty bag? The Vikings have always had talent.  And not just a team that has good players here and there.  We've had transcendent talent that is unmatched by anyone in the NFL.

Fans may be asking themselves, "What about this team?  We're nothing special including that douche that seems to think he's a good QB!"

Well, let's take a look.  Adrian Peterson is the best Running Back in the NFL.  Percy Harvin is the best player in the league right now (when we give him the ball).  The Vikings have a perennial all pro at Defensive End and an All Pro at Defensive Tackle.  The linebacker is a top tackler in the NFL and our new safety who we drafted is in line for a possible Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

This is not uncommon to other years.  Why aren't we rallying around this team?

Herman Moore (who by the way, was unreal and should be in the hall of fame with CC), is not going to come out of the woodwork and catch a touchdown to beat us at the last minute. As fans, we need to rally and expect the unexpected with this team.  I think the Vikings can win this year.  Maybe it's a cry for help and a call that needs to be placed for men in white suits to send me to the nearest institution.  But this team can win and the only thing that is stopping us is the mindset of our fans.

Sorry I said it.

Remember to send questions over my way: dvosays@gmail.com  I'm still answering them!

No comments:

Post a Comment