Monday, October 8, 2012

Our First Question



Oh ya, it's that time for our first question


There was a moment in time last week when I posted my blog and said, "Oh crap, this won't work."  For me, it was a rather selfish idea to see who would respond and what questions would I come across. I felt as though this would be another ho-hum blog that I would continue doing.  So as I was about to start a blog post regarding my endorsement for the next president of the United States and why I feel that way; we finally got our first question!  We'll continue forward!  YES WE CAN!  And it's a doozy.  Again, I'll try to tackle it as best as possible. This is my first go at it, so let's see how it turns out.  Remember to send out questions!  I will answer them (dvosays@gmail.com).


Our First Question:
If you were to an NCAA style tournament of your family vs. Significant Other's family who would win in a:


  • Fight
  • Cookoff
Despite their sweet looks, my money says the Significant Other's family got some fight in 'em.  Besides, I saw your family raining tears at the wedding, so I know there's a soft spot underneath that Russian exterior.  

-Alex King (Boston).

So since both families (Significant Other and I) are very non-violent people (albeit my side can be quite angry at times), I'll say Significant Other's family would win in a fight.  I see this fight being a hunger games type of scenario and their family would totally outlast my family.  They are just much more resourceful.  Their family would build fires and hunt for animals and know which berries to pick.  My brother would make sure he's alive long enough to eat me.  And when we would be at our weakest, our opponent would know when to strike.  They would wait for the perfect opportunity.  Morbid subject, but my family wouldn't stand a chance.

On the other hand, I love your other question here: Who would win in a cookoff?

First, the players:

Dad: My Dad
Mom: My Mom
Bro: My Brother
SOD: Significant Other's Dad
SOM: Significant Other's Mom
SOS: Significant Other's Sister
SOBro: Significant Other's Brother
Me: Me
SO: Significant Other

I think when you talk about a cookoff; you know that each person is going to bring their 'A' game to the show.  Although NCAA tournaments can't just pair teams up, we'll pair up our teams into siblings, parents, and kids (SO and ME).

And of course, as we start this journey for me to hurt feelings based on how I feel each family can cook; let me just say that I love everyone involved.  I'm fortunate to have the best cooks in the world in my families.

That said, let's get started.


SOD and SOM vs. Mom and Dad: SOD and SOM come out strong in the first round.  They prepare a full course meal with one of SOM's famous salads with lettuce, fresh veggies, berries, goat cheese, and homemade caramelized pecans.  SOD goes right to work on the grill, starting with the pineapple on a slow heat.  Next he cooks mini sliders flipping rapidly and toasting buns at the same time.  The table is arranged perfectly and we have wine paired with the meal.

Mom and Dad take a slightly different approach.  Mom helps Dad prepare antipasto apps such as fresh mozzarella on tomato with fancy olive oil and cured meats while Dad starts to prep the jalapenos filled with cheese and wraps them in bacon.   Dad then prepares the steaks on with his marinade and starts the grill with fresh corn on it already.  Mom tries a unique recipe for soup/salad that may or may not be that great.  In the end this could cost them.  The table is set with more food than I (or an army) can eat.

Winner?  There is some good and some great on both teams.  Let's check out how our other teams are doing.

SOBro and SOS vs. Bro: SOS immediately gets to work on a seven course meal with the perfect wine selected to accompany each course tasting.  SOBRO and Bro each have a beer and hang out and aren't that interested in cooking at this point.  Bro promises some chicken wings that he is currently marinating and may or may not make them.

Winner? SOS Wins in a landslide somehow eliminating both brothers; one being her teammate. 

SO vs. Me:  SO starts off with homemade matzoball soup that she has made from scratch.  SO then makes her famous (and patented) salmon with teriyaki sauce.  I sit and hang out with my Bro and SOBRO while being fed delicious food.

Winner?  Clearly Significant Other was going to win this one.  I mean, come on. 

So what do we have after this NCAA tournament style cookoff between both families?  We have a tie with the parents and SO and her sister winning.  Yep, that sounds about right.


That was a lot of fun!  Keep the questions coming; anything ridiculous will do.  dvosays@gmail.com









No comments:

Post a Comment