Thursday, January 6, 2011

Generic Blog Title #1

Well... this is going to be awkward.

Originally, my nickname came to fruition with my first football coach.  It was sixth grade and I was a asthmatic, nerdy, and undersized fullback that had never played any type of organized football.  But wanting to emulate a hero of mine, my brother, I decided that football was something I was going to do because he did.

The first day of practice, I partook in a few drills to get me accustomed to hitting.  Mind you, this is the same stage of life that I would still cry often and be afraid to have a baseball thrown at me (had been playing that sport much longer and still pathetic).  The coach called one drill "the box."  This drill would consist of four cones, placed to look like a square no larger than your kitchen table at home.  Two players would face each other from opposite ends and be ready to get hit.  At the coaches whistle, he would throw the ball to one of us and it was the other person job to tackle the ball carrier.

Of course the coach, a high school drop out and borderline convict, knew this was my first time playing football.  He lined me up first and made sure that the other player was the largest kid on the team.  He blew the whistle and a 6th grader as large as 6'5" 300 lbs. came rick rolling my direction. Tears rolling down my face, I lowered my shoulder and got nailed back at least 20 yards.

After practice, coach came over and gave me a pep talk.  He said, "you gotta play fierce, play like you wanna hurt people.  You wanna hurt people don't you?"

Confused by the context but still scared I reluctantly nodded my head.

"You need a nickname," he exclaimed.  "Something that makes others shake in their pads."

"What about 'killer'," I asked.

"No, I don't see you as a 'killer'.  Though you should still sound tough.  You seen the movie Friday yet?"

"Umm, no.  I'm not sure I can see that," I said referring to the rated R movie.

"Well the guy in there, that movie, his name is DeeBo.  You're last name kind of sounds like that."

And from there it was born, or spawned, or something.  The letters of my last named were used to form my nickname that I've fondly carried with me since that season.

And most may know me by my first name, I thought I would share how others might call me.  Though spelling might be a different story of course.  Devo, Divo, D'vo, DeeVo.....

So now, I'll introduce my blog.  A luxurious collection of stories, opinions, sports and food.  You could call it a coming out party.  Wait... please don't call it that.

Happy reading
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. Very good my young friend! Looking forward to your future bloggings.
    - Cory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sharp, witty and entertaining. Looking forward to your future posts buddy.

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete